The museum underwent a £35 million refurbishment in 2005 in order to double the size of the display spaces and make even more of the collections accessible for visitors. A central entrance hall and six-storey atrium were created as part of the work. Major new galleries included World Cultures, the Bug House and the Weston Discovery Centre. On reopening after this refurbishment and extension the museum's name changed from its previous title of Liverpool Museum, which it had held since its establishment at its current William Brown Street site in 1860.
By calflier001 - WORLD MUSEUM WILLIAM BROWN STREET LIVERPOOL AUG 2013Uploaded by MainFrame, CC BY-SA 2.0, Link